RECIPE: Better-than-Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
I promise you will never go out to buy Cinnamon Rolls anymore. This homemade recipe will have your home and kitchen smelling like the holidays. Watch your entire family showing up in the kitchen without having to be called. I guarantee it'll be a big hit!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 packet (2 tsp/7 gms/1/4 oz) yeast - instant or active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (low fat or whole milk) heated to 120-130° F for instant yeast (or 110-120°F for active dry)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- about 1/4 cup additional flour
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter or trans-fat free margarine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- about 2 Tablespoons milk
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir in milk followed by oil & egg. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Add additional flour until dough forms a mass.
- On a floured surface, knead 150 turns (about 4-5 minutes).
- Cover with plastic or a bowl & let rest 10 minutes.
- Meantime, grease an 8-inch round pan and combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into 12” x 9”.
- Spread with butter/margarine followed by brown sugar mixture.
- Roll up the dough (not too tightly) starting at the 9” end.
- Cut 1/2-inch off either end. With a serrated knife or using dental floss, cut the log into eight even slices and arrange in pan.
- Cover with plastic & rise in a warm spot until doubled, 1 - 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350° F for about 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then frost. To make the frosting, combine powdered sugar & vanilla and slowly add milk for spreading consistency.
Notes: To make overnight rolls, follow steps 1 thru 10. Cover the pan with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the fridge in the morning and then let rise in a warm spot for about 1 to 1 1/2-2 hours. Or until the rolls doubled in size. Continue at step #12.
No Mixer? You can combine the ingredients by hand and follow the rest of the recipe as written. I just tried it, and they turned out great.