RECIPE: Better-than-Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 packet (2 tsp/7 gms/1/4 oz) yeast - instant or active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (low fat or whole milk) heated to 120-130° F for instant yeast (or 110-120°F for active dry)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- about 1/4 cup additional flour
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter or trans-fat free margarine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- about 2 Tablespoons milk
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir in milk followed by oil & egg. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Add additional flour until dough forms a mass.
- On a floured surface, knead 150 turns (about 4-5 minutes).
- Cover with plastic or a bowl & let rest 10 minutes.
- Meantime, grease an 8-inch round pan and combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into 12” x 9”.
- Spread with butter/margarine followed by brown sugar mixture.
- Roll up the dough (not too tightly) starting at the 9” end.
- Cut 1/2-inch off either end. With a serrated knife or using dental floss, cut the log into eight even slices and arrange in pan.
- Cover with plastic & rise in a warm spot until doubled, 1 - 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350° F for about 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then frost. To make the frosting, combine powdered sugar & vanilla and slowly add milk for spreading consistency.
Notes: To make overnight rolls, follow steps 1 thru 10. Cover the pan with plastic and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the fridge in the morning and then let rise in a warm spot for about 1 to 1 1/2-2 hours. Or until the rolls doubled in size. Continue at step #12.
No Mixer? You can combine the ingredients by hand and follow the rest of the recipe as written. I just tried it, and they turned out great.